9/1/10

Part 2 - Maps

The plane journey consisted of cries and sighs far too many for a one way flight to Berlin. The Ryanair flight was delayed by two hours due to a small child being trapped in a door and the pilot not noticing. We paused for a while in London.
We were greeted by men in suits with guns. I am always amazed by the fact that the people that are meant to protect us, the police, carry guns. Guns, bang you are dead. The city seemed scare so far. It was big and blocky. Buildings were only in XL yet everyone was wearing a medium. I was tired and hungry and I was being told that we had a 2 hour journey to our beloved Hostel. Alan was comfortable with taking control and we very comfortable with him doing so. I was only here for the journey, I hadn't even looked up what to do in Berlin. My expectations were low.
Everything worked on time. Trains came and went swiftly. If you didn't know what you were doing you shouldn't be there. We marveled at the street art on the tracks, Pete and Joel being very much so in the scene back in the Dublin, as a warm orange glow hovered above the city skyline in the distance. On top of the double decker train I was trying to grasp onto the fact that I was away from serving people drinks and now, yes, I could have few myself. The 7 of us cried out for adventure and a bit of special...
The underground is huge, mass amounts of concrete and rock with large piles of metal flying around bringing us, the magnificent human race, to our all important destinations. We looked foreign and I felt it too with my big back pack and english falling out of my mouth, I needed to integrate. Above ground the city is bright and filled with white buildings. The west and east seemed to be divided still and with us staying on the west but longing for the east we experienced much. Lou noticed sentinel-like rabbits in the middle of a roundabout watch the blurry cars drive and stop and drive and then we arrived to the hostel.
With money replaced by keys we left for the city and found diversity in the heart of Europe. America has far too much of an influence on Ireland I think. Or maybe its just that humans have too much of a influence on each other but there did seem to be a different level of respect within this city and we respected this respect.
Where to go and what to see was the never ending question, but an art exhibition was first on our list. Louis had been over a few months before working on a project for some company and he was determined for us to see this. The giant mirrors, the hundreds miniature paper sculptures, the strobe lights and falling water, the lights and fog and madness at the hands of one man. Beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment